Tuesday, July 04, 2006

"Father and Daughter"

I heard this song recently for the first time. It's not often that a song makes me sit down and bawl like a baby, but this one did, and still does whenever I play it. This morning I was on the train to work, and this song suddenly popped up on my iPod. I had to find a dark corner of the train to go and plug the waterworks. By the time I got to work, things had calmed a little but I still needed to wheel out the old excuse about hay-fever....
I suppose there are few things more powerful than the conversion from a lifelong obsession with one's self to an obsession with one's children and the utterly irresistible imperative to see that they grow up strong and happy. The transfer of priorities just happens, bang, like that and your life, which has been running full speed in one direction, suddenly shoots off in another and you hang on for grim death until you get a handle on what it is that's suddenly hijacked your life.
Having said that, what also arises is something that sustains us for the rest of our lives: the huge, all-conquering love for our progeny that will not be derailed or mellowed by any mistake, event, mishap or distance.
"I'm going to watch you shine/Gonna watch you grow/Gonna paint a sign, so you'll always know/As long as one and one is two/There could never be a father that loves his daughter more than I love you." That pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Evil Minx said...

Awwww, Londinium!

This Minx never knew you were such an old softy. Bless. That's adorable.

C'mere and gimme a big old hug. (Watch the hands!)

Anonymous said...

Been reading up on the life of the great Paul Simon and his children ('specially now that his son, Harper, is recording some pretty fine music himself). There are other songs in the PS catalog which reference parents and children. Apparently, he was quite the dedicated dad and spent more time with his kids than the usual rock star father.

Lovely song, and a lovely reflection on it. Thanks.